Monday, September 12, 2011

More Christmas Card Swap Sneak Peek with Cricut!

I'm back in the groove... My fabulous hubby let me while the hours away in my scrap room today and I did not waste my (suddenly) free time! I whipped out the Elemental club pages (adorable...will post shortly...) and the second of my 4 Christmas cards I need to get done this week. Eight down, eight to go!

I did this one on the new 6x6 Kraft cards. You know I loves me some standard size cards, but the little die cut scalloped edge on these is too fab to pass up. I cut out the snowflake background and the embellishment snowflakes with my new Cricut Art Philosophy Cartridge. It was so easy!

I so badly wanted to glitterize that snowflake background, but I was also loving the clean vibe of the white against the blue background, so I decided
to get my glitter on with the striped paper on the left. I got out my old friend, the Xyron machine. You know, that little purple guy gathering dust in the back of your closet? Then I cut and sanded a bunch of 1/4 inch strips of CS. Ran my strip of Crystal Blue CS through my trusty Xyron, flipped it so that the adhesive was facing up, and adhered the strips of CS to make the stripes. Then I dipped the whole concoction into my other old friend, Prisma Glitter to fill in the rest of the adhesive areas. Glittery, stripey coordinating paper...brilliant! Finihsed it off with some layered Cricut cut snowflakes embellished with Pearl Opaques and Silver Glitter Glitz Gel.

I did a fun marbling technique on the main sentiment stamp, from the new December 25 stamp set. First, I inked the stamp with Crystal Blue (my lighter color). Then I took my Twilight (darker) pad and pressed it here and there about the stamp.

Then I held the stamp away from my work area and spritzed it lightly with...I should say water, but being rather comfy in my chair, I used my cleaning spritz that was sitting right there on the table. Anyhow, dampen the image with a spritz of liquid... and the ink will bead up a bit like the image on the right. Then stamp it down onto your cardstock, give it a bit of a press, and let it sit for a few moments. You want all the misted ink to have a chance to really sink into the paper.

When you're done stamping you'll have a lovely marbled color to your image. Just make sure you work from lightest ink color to darkest or you'll ruin your pad!

When I was done stamping my sentiment, I trimmed out the center of the marbled label and mounted it with 3-D Foam tape onto one I stamped in Grey Wool onto the tag I cut with my Cricut. This marbling technique works great with solid flower type stamps too - soft and almost watercolor-ish.

I'm planning to make this a photo card. I put a bit of velcro dot under the front flap to hold it closed, and that gives me 6 x 12" of space on the inside for photos of the boys and a holiday letter....perhaps I've found my Christmas card this year?

Anyhow, only two more Christmas card designs to go this week, plus Club pages will be up soon. Happy stamping!

Linked to Heart 2 Heart Challenges Die Cuts Challenge...lots of cricut art there!

5 comments:

Vicki Wizniuk said...

I love this!

Gina Brandstetter said...

Your marblizing technique looks great! Love your card!

Haley D. said...

Fabby card! I will have to try your marbling technique. Thanks for sharing with us at H2H Challenges!

Unknown said...

really like those snowflakes and that marbeling technique is neat too!

Unknown said...

Love your scalloped edged card! Thanks for sharing "marbling"--it's on my list to try now too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...